I can’t think of a better combination of ingredients than apples and cheddar!
And this Savoury Apple & Cheddar Tart hits all the right notes.
Using crunchy, tangy-sweet JAZZ™ apples, old cheddar cheese, leeks and thyme, this puff pastry tart is simple to make and super flavourful!
Disclaimer: Thank you to JAZZ™ apples, for sponsoring this post. Thank you for supporting the brands that I support. All opinions are my own.
As a part of a group of fellow Canadian creatives, we each created recipes with Jazz apples and a mystery ingredient! My ingredient was cheddar as selected by the lovely Betty from Stems and Forks.
Apples are the perfect baking ingredient in my books but I wanted to give you a recipe that can be enjoyed many different ways! A simple, savoury tart was the way to go, bringing together the tangy-sweet Jazz apples with complementary ingredients.
What’s in a savoury apple cheddar tart?
- Jazz apples: The star of this tart recipe, they bake beautifully with the other flavours.
- Cheddar cheese: Use an old or sharp cheddar cheese in this recipe as the saltiness pairs really well with the apples.
- Leeks: Sauteing the leeks before cooking the tart brings about a beautiful, mellow flavour that enhances the apples and cheddar.
- Fresh thyme: This herbs’ floral notes is a lovely addition to the tart flavours.
- Frozen puff pastry: This is a game-changer in the kitchen. Simply thaw the puff pastry according to package directions and then use! Makes this recipe come together oh so quickly.
Savoury Apple Cheddar Tart
Enjoy this tart with a side salad over brunch, lunch or light dinner. This quick & easy vegetarian apple tart with cheddar & leeks recipe won't let you down.
- 1 sheet puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 leek, cleaned and sliced
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs plus more for garnish
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups old cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2-2 Jazz Apples, sliced
- garnish with fresh thyme sprigs
**Important: thaw puff pastry according to package directions**
Pre-heat the oven to 425F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Roll out the puff pastry dough into a 10 inch by 12-inch rectangle (approximately). Make a half-inch border around the tart by folding the sides of the dough, using a fork to press down. Then use the fork to make dots throughout the middle of the tart and set aside.
To sauté the leeks, melt 1 tbsp butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Once the butter is bubbling, add in the leeks, thyme sprigs and pinches of salt/pepper and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until softened. Remove the thyme sprigs.
Spread 1 cup of cheese onto the tart, followed by the leeks and apple slices in groups. Finish by layering the final ½ cup remaining cheese on top of the apples. Bake the tart 20-25 minutes until golden brown and crisp.
Serve garnished with fresh thyme and a side salad of your choice for a full meal. Enjoy!
When this tart comes out of the oven it’s hard to resist!
The Jazz apples keep a slight crunch on the buttery, cheesy base of this tart so each bite is delightful! These are the perfect apple for this.
How to enjoy this easy apple puff pastry tart
- Lunch or Dinner: Pair with a simple, green salad for a full meal.
- Brunch: This apple tart would be just beautiful for brunch. The savouriness is perfect for brunch.
- Appetizer: Once baked, cut this tart into small pieces and serve as an appetizer.
Looking for more delicious recipes using Jazz apples?! Check out the recipes from my fellow Canadian creatives:
Betty at Stems & Forks
Debi at Simply Beautiful Eating
Sam at Vancouver Sam
Kim at Cravings of a Lunatic
Nicole at The Yummy Farm
Renée at Sweet Sugar Bean
And find Jazz Apples to make your own tart at many retailers including Costco, Loblaws, Sobeys and Walmart.
Until the next cooking adventure,