This is a simple green salad filled with brussels sprouts and kale that is perfect for the season!
The mixture of brussels sprouts and kale with a zingy lemony dressing gives you all the crunch a crisp, fresh salad should have.
It’s a salad you’ll keep going back to again and again; let’s mix it up!I love to have a go-to salad in my repertoire, especially during the cooler months.
But you may be wondering…
Can you eat raw brussels sprouts in a salad?
YES! I think brussels sprouts are one of the most versatile vegetables for fall and winter months. Sliced thin for salads is one of the best ways to enjoy them raw, especially since they stand up to salad dressing really well.
As much as I enjoy cozy recipes, this brussels sprouts and kale salad also hits all the right notes!
With the lemony dressing and parmesan cheese, you could even call this a ‘healthyish’ caesar salad.
Here’s what you’ll need to make this salad
Brussels Sprouts: Thinly sliced brussels sprouts are part one of this crunchy, green salad. You could also use a food processor to slice/shred them if you have that available in your kitchen.
Kale: The second part of this very green salad, kale is chopped and mixed with the brussels sprouts.
Parmesan Cheese: Parmesan cheese adds a bit of saltiness to all of the green veggies and goes so well with the lemony dressing.
Lemon juice: Fresh-squeezed lemon juice is bright and tart, and a key part of the salad dressing,
Olive Oil: The other key ingredient to the dressing, olive oil and lemon mix perfectly for the base of the dressing.
Garlic: Can’t forget this add-in to the dressing for a zesty taste to the mix.
Toasted Nuts: Toasted hazelnuts are DIVINE in this salad but you could also try walnuts or pecans.
Want to take this salad up another notch?! It lends itself well to other delicious ingredient additions like dried cranberries and pomegranate seeds.
Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad
- 1 bunch kale, leaves removed from stems & chopped you want 4-6 packed cups
- 16 brussels sprouts, chopped or shaved thin
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts (or other nuts), chopped & toasted
Lemon Garlic Dressing
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- juice from half to a full lemon
- 1/2 tsp honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- Chop kale and slice or shred brussels sprouts. Add to a large bowl.
- Toast hazelnuts on low-broil in the oven for 3-5 minutes until starting to brown (watch these closely as every oven is different; some will toast faster than others).
- Mix dressing ingredients together, using juice of half a lemon. Taste and adjust with more lemon juice if preferred.
- To serve the salad, add the parmesan cheese to the kale and brussels sprouts and mix. Mix in all of the dressing and taste. Adjust with salt and pepper if needed. Top with toasted hazelnuts and serve.
This crispy, crunchy salad is a serious dose of green veggies. It makes a wonderful side dish but you could eat this as a main dish with a protein added as well!
Meal prep this salad
Make all of the ingredients ahead of time, store in a container with dressing on the side. OR mix the salad and portion into containers. Since kale and brussels sprouts are heartier vegetables, they stand up well to dressing and will hold for 1-2 days in the fridge once mixed.
Love wintery salads as much as I do?! Try my Winter Citrus Chopped Salad too!
Until the next cooking adventure,