I’m in a serious baking mood with the cooler weather so these Cranberry Chocolate Scones are sure hitting the mark!
For breakfast, brunch or a snack, I’ve been enjoying these scones all, the, time.
The ingredients go really well together and bring a festive flavour to this time of year!
On colder days during the Fall and Winter season you can usually find me baking something delicious on the weekend. I like to use seasonal ingredients in the recipes I make and these scones are no different.
These Cranberry Chocolate Scones are the perfect combination of flavours for the Winter season:
Cranberries are a staple during this time of year but here I’ve opted for dried cranberries which give a ton of concentrated, tart flavour.
Milk or Dark Chocolate:
You can use either chocolate in these scones depending on your taste. I love to chop up a chocolate bar for this recipe but you can also use chocolate chips.
The orange glaze goes so well with the tart cranberry flavour and the sweetness of the chocolate. It brings a bright, fresh taste to this recipe!
Cranberry Chocolate Scones with Orange Glaze
- parchment paper
- large baking sheet
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup cold butter, grated on a coarse cheese grater
- 3/4 cup milk or dark chocolate pieces (or chopped up from a chocolate bar) substitute chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 egg
- 1 cup 2% milk
- extra milk for brushing
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- 4 tsp fresh squeezed orange juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 425F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, salt and baking powder and stir with a fork to combine.
- Grate the butter into the flour mixture and then using your fingers combine the butter into the flour mixture until you get small pieces of butter left.
- Measure 1 cup of milk, crack the egg into the milk and stir with a fork.
- Add the milk/egg mixture into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon a couple of turns.
- Then add in the chocolate and dried cranberries and stir until the dough just comes together. Put a bit of flour on your hands and the parchment paper on the baking sheet, and shape the dough into a ball. Place on the parchment paper and shape/flatten the dough into about an 8 inch circle.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into 8 triangles and put each scone onto the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of each scone with a little bit of milk and then bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes until golden on top.
- Let cool on a baking rack for at least 20 minutes before icing.
- To make the orange glaze, whisk icing sugar and orange juice. Drizzle over each scone and let set. Enjoy!
- A sharp knife is key when slicing the scones into their shaped before baking to keep their shape as best as possible!
- Scones are best enjoyed the day you make them but can be reheated for about 5 minutes at 300F on the second day then serve.
The scones come out of the oven golden brown and then you drizzle on that fresh, orange glaze.
Flaky and buttery, these scones can be made ahead of time. So, if you’re hosting brunch or breakfast during the holidays, make them the day before and simply warm them up for your guests!
I promise these Cranberry Chocolate Scones with Orange Glaze will be a hit.
These scones come together so easily I think you’ll want to make them again and again.
Until the next cooking adventure,
DISCLAIMER: THIS RECIPE WAS ORIGINALLY CREATED FOR THE ITALIAN CENTRE SHOP AND THEY HAVE GRACIOUSLY LET ME REPUBLISH TO THE BLOG.