Delivering you a healthy take on a classic broccoli cheddar soup recipe!
Broccoli cheddar soup is a favourite of mine but I wanted to create a recipe you can feel good about eating.
So, all you need for this recipe is one pot and some simple ingredients for a deliciously creamy soup.Who else is a fan of allll that cheddar in this soup?!
I sure am and along with broccoli they are the core ingredients for this dish.
So what makes this soup ‘healthy-ish’ ?!
Broccoli Cheddar soup is generally made with heavy cream and lots of cheese. So, I’ve lightened up the soup with white beans instead to give this dish the creamy texture it deserves! And while I’ve kept some serious cheesy goodness, I’ve also packed this recipe full of veggies. So once you’ve blended the soup, you’re going to seriously enjoy every spoonful of this soup and won’t miss the cream one bit.
What ingredients are in this healthy broccoli cheddar soup
Broccoli: The base vegetable for this soup.
White Beans: White beans act as the thickener when this soup is blended and brings the creaminess one craves in this soup. PLUS they bring some great protein to the mix too!
Cheddar Cheese: For all the cheesy flavour you want in a broccoli cheddar soup.
Flour: Helps to thicken this soup as well.
Vegetable or chicken broth: You can use vegetable or chicken broth in this soup.
Spices: Dried thyme, salt, pepper and a pinch of chili flakes are the only spices you’ll need.
Veggies: Onions, carrots, celery and garlic make up the base of this soup recipe and help build flavour.
Healthyish Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion or half large onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 5 cups broccoli florets, chopped
- 14 oz (398ml) can cannelini or white navy beans
- 2-2 1/2 cups old or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- pinch chili flakes
- ground pepper
- Optional topping: more cheddar cheese
- To a large pot add olive oil and warm to medium heat. Add chopped onion, garlic, celery and carrots and sauté 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Stir in flour and then slowly add in the vegetable or chicken broth and stir to combine.
- Add in broccoli florets, beans, salt, dried thyme, pinch chili flakes and a couple turns ground pepper. Stir and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Once simmering, turn to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes with the lid mostly on until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and use an immersion blender to pulse to desired consistency OR blend in batches in a blender to desired consistency and return to the pot.
- Stir in the cheese, 2-2 1/2 cups depending on how cheesy you want it, add more salt and/or pepper to your liking and then serve.
This broccoli cheddar soup is perfect for cozy days. It’s delicious with a side salad, crackers or a slice of buttery, toasted bread.
How to reheat or store this broccoli cheddar soup
After making this soup, let completely cool before storing in the fridge for up to 3 days. Then, enjoy by reheating on the stove or in the microwave.
This soup freezes well for up to 2 months. To thaw the soup, defrost in the refrigerator overnight and then reheat on medium-low in a pot on the stove or microwave to desired heat level.
Are you in the mood for more healthyish soup inspiration like this healthy broccoli cheddar soup?!
More soup recipes you’ll love
Until the next cooking adventure,