I could eat these zucchini fritters for every single meal!
They’re light, fluffy and so easy to make. These fritters are a delicious way to enjoy all the zucchini currently at the markets and grocery stores.
Perfect for a light lunch, brunch or even a side to your next dinner; these fritters are so versatile.
Until a couple of years ago, I did not appreciate how versatile zucchini was. I first tried it when spiralizing was all the rage; spiralized zucchini noodles with any kind of sauce was a go-to.
Then, I grew zucchini in my garden one summer and lets just say it took over the entire garden. So, what to do with allll the zucchini?? Make zucchini fritters!
They are light, fluffy and served with a divine garlic yogurt dipping sauce.
How to make the best zucchini fritters
Zucchini: Of course, the main ingredient to this fritters is zucchini and just as important is draining some of the liquid out before mixing into the batter. This ensures a thicker batter and crispier fritters!
Eggs, flour & herbs: A mixture of eggs, flour and herbs make up the batter to bring the fritters together.
Parmesan cheese: Adds a bit more saltiness and helps to get those fritters even crispier.
Zucchini Fritters with Garlic Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 small zucchini)
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- olive oil for sauteeing
Garlic Yogurt Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- juice from half a lemon
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp coarse salt
- ground pepper
- Make the yogurt sauce: Stir together garlic cloves, lemon juice, yogurt, olive oil, salt and a pinch of pepper. Let sit in the fridge until ready to use.
- To prepare the zucchini: Grate the zucchini on the large side of a cheese grater. Add the zucchini to a strainer and sprinkle with ½ tsp salt. Let sit for 15 minutes and then press down with your hands to start draining the liquid out. Get out as much liquid as you can. You want to get as much liquid out as possible so the fritters will be crispy! Set aside as you make the batter.
- To make the fritter batter: In a bowl whisk eggs and then with a spoon stir in flour, baking powder, cheese, chives, salt and a couple grinds of pepper - this will be very thick. Then stir in the zucchini which will relax the dough.
- To make the fritters: Line a plate with a paper towel and set aside. To a large frying pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, scoop out the batter by heaping tablespoonfuls, adding to the pan and flattening each fritter with the back of the spoon. Cook about 3 minutes each side until crispy and move finished fritters to the paper towel lined plate. Add more oil to the pan as needed and continue cooking fritters until the batter is done.
- Serve immediately. Or, while waiting for the next batch to be cooked, keep the fritters on a baking sheet in the oven at 300F until ready to eat.
So, now that you’re ready to make these fritters with all of that glorious zucchini, what should you enjoy them with?
What do you eat with these fritters
Brunch: Serve zucchini fritters as a side to a savoury brunch. They’ll go lovely with eggs, quiche and other savoury dishes.
Grilled Meats or Salmon: Still enjoying barbecuing in the summer months? Add these fritters as a side to your favourite grilled meat dish. The light fritters will go so well as a side to grilled, baked or pan-fried salmon.
Garlic Yogurt Dipping Sauce: Simply serve the fritters with the dipping sauce as an appetizer or snack!
I hope this gives you a new way to enjoy zucchini while its in season! With just a little bit of prep, you can have these on the table in no time.
Until the next cooking adventure,
DISCLAIMER: THIS RECIPE WAS ORIGINALLY CREATED FOR THE ITALIAN CENTRE SHOP AND THEY HAVE GRACIOUSLY LET ME REPUBLISH TO THE BLOG.