This easy garlic and herb cheese appetizer takes just 5 minutes to prep and is the perfect holiday dip!
This soft cheese appetizer is simple to make and perfect for entertaining.
Having a simple canapé recipe in your back pocket is always handy when you’ve got guests coming!
Like my goat cheese appetizer with fig jam & pecans, this easy cheese appetizer takes just a few minutes to prep and is sure to wow everyone!
Why you’ll love this garlic and herb cheese holiday appetizer
- It only takes 5 minutes to prepare, it is so quick to make!
- You can serve it with homemade crostini, crackers or crudités.
- All you need are 8 simple ingredients.
- I’ve got a few ingredient substitutions so you can make this to suit your tastes.
Garlic and Herb Boursin Cheese: can’t find Boursin cheese? Feel free to use another garlic and herb cheese!
Walnuts: I love using walnuts in this easy appetizer, but you can swap them out for almonds or pine nuts if you prefer.
Fresh Herbs: I used a mix of basil, chives and parsley.
Olive Oil, Parmesan Cheese, Chili Flakes & Lemon Zest: Serious flavour boosters!
Step by Step Process for this easy cheese appetizer
- Step 1: In a shallow bowl or plate, spread the softened boursin cheese and drizzle it with the olive oil.
- Step 2: Sprinkle the cheese with chili flakes and a pinch of salt.
- Step 3: Add your chopped fresh herbs, chopped walnuts, the zest of half a lemon and a sprinkling of shredded parmesan cheese.
- Step 4: Serve with crackers or crostini and enjoy!
Easy Garlic & Herb Cheese Holiday Appetizer
- 2 150g garlic and herb Boursin cheese (remove from fridge 10 minutes before making the dip)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- pinch of coarse salt
- 1/4 cup cup chopped fresh herbs (mix of basil, chives, parsley)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- zest from half lemon
- 2 tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- Crackers or crostini for serving
- To a low bowl or plate, spread softened boursin cheese and drizzle with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes and a pinch of salt.
- Add chopped fresh herbs, chopped walnuts, zest of half a lemon and finish with parmesan cheese.
- Serve with crackers or crostini.
How do I make crostini?
Preheat your oven to 400°Fahrenheit. Use a bread knife to slice a baguette into 1-inch thick slices. Brush the slices of bread with olive oil on one side and then place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Toast for 10 minutes, flipping the slices of bread halfway through.
What else can I serve with this soft cheese appetizer?
I love serving this with homemade crostini and crackers, but you can also slice up some cucumbers, bell peppers and celery! If you’re using crackers, go with something plain so the flavours from the appetizer can really stand out.
I can’t find Boursin cheese at my grocery store!
Feel free to use another soft garlic and herb cheese if you can’t find boursin at your local grocery store.
Expert Tips for making this easy cheese appetizer
- Take the soft cheese out of the fridge about 10-15 minutes before making the recipe so it is easier to spread on the plate.
- Using fresh herbs instead of dried herbs makes all the difference, but in a pinch you can use dried herbs.
- Using good ingredients here makes all the difference! Olive oil and nuts can easily go bad, so I recommend checking the freshness of what’s in your pantry before you start the recipe.
Keep the prepared dip in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
More holiday appetizers to love from the blog
Until the next cooking adventure,