It’s salad season friends and I’ve got a divine combination of flavours in this Watermelon Mason Jar Salad that’s sure to make your tastebuds sing!
I absolutely love this time of year because there is so much fresh produce to choose from to make salads with. When I’m jetting from work to appointments to photoshoots I love to bring easy, meal-prepped salads with me that burst with flavour and are easy to eat on the go.
So, that’s exactly where this Watermelon Mason Jar Salad fits in with a wonderful combination of flavours to brighten your lunchtime!
I absolutely love watermelon on its own as a snack but making it into a savoury dish to enjoy at other meals has been high on my list.
Did you know? Canadians love watermelon! Due to our short local season, we import most of it from the States. Each year we buy over 300 million pounds of US watermelon! That’s A LOT of watermelon!
Once warmer temperatures appear we generally buy one watermelon per week in our house; my husband and I both LOVE it! We eat watermelon by the slice and now we’ve got this Mason Jar Watermelon Salad on repeat for lunches too. The salad is very refreshing given that watermelon is 92% water and an excellent hydrator.
And, paired with a hearty grain like farro plus pea shoots and radishes for crunch, the mint and feta, I’m telllllling you this Watermelon Mason Jar Salad is a flavour bomb you don’t want to miss out on!
I like to meal-prep the salad ingredients on Sundays, make us a couple of mason jar salads and store them in the fridge for 2-3 days of lunches.
Don’t have a mason jar? That’s ok! You can easily make this salad in a to-go or meal-prep container, whatever works best for you.
Watermelon Mason Jar Salad
- 4 x 26 oz mason jars
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2 cups watermelon diced
- 1 1/3 cup radishes sliced in halves
- 3-4 cups pea shoots
- 1 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup mint chopped
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- pinch ground pepper
- Bring a pot of water to boil and once boiling, add the farro and cook for 22-25 minutes until the farro is just done (almost a chewy texture). Drain the farro and set aside to cool. *Note the farro cooks just like you would cook pasta and will not absorb all the water like when you cook other grains*
- Next, prep your salad dressing by adding white balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, honey, salt and pepper into a small mason jar or bowl and shake or stir to combine.
- Then, prepare the salad ingredients: dice the watermelon into small cubes; slice the radishes; measure out the pea shoots; crumble the feta and chop the mint.
- To assemble the mason jar salads, divide the ingredients into 4 jars, starting with a 1/4 cup of dressing at the bottom of the jar. Then add in farro, diced watermelon, radishes, pea shoots, feta and top with mint.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- When you’re ready to eat the salad, shake the mason jar to combine ingredients and then enjoy!
You can easily halve this recipe for just two Mason Jar Watermelon Salads by dividing all the ingredient amounts in half.
Or, this recipe also makes a lovely summertime picnic or barbeque salad! Just combine all the ingredients together instead of separating them into 4 mason jars and toss with the dressing when you’re ready to serve.
Want more watermelon recipe inspiration? Check out watermelon.org for a plethora of ideas including how to use the entire watermelon for delicious kitchen creations including using the white of the rind in coleslaws or stirfry or pickle it for a zesty topping!
Until the next cooking adventure,