This One Pot Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup is the perfect cozy meal for the cooler season.
With lots of herbs, tomatoes and cheese tortellini, this is a meal in itself, especially with the added kale!
Serve with a side salad and fresh bread for a delicious dinner spread.
I live for one pot dinner’s! And this tortellini soup is so easy to make in just one pot.
What goes into this easy tortellini soup:
Onion & Garlic: The base of this soup, giving an amazing flavour base.
Seasoning: Dried basil, oregano and thyme plus salt and pepper to boost the flavour further.
Tomatoes: Crushed tomatoes work great in this soup.
Chicken Stock: Key to making this soup, soup!
Tortellini: This soup calls for frozen tortellini but you can use fresh too which makes the soup come together even faster!
Kale: The dose of fresh kale makes this recipe a dinner all-in-one.
Cream: A must-have to give that creaminess.
Parmesan Cheese: Amps up the flavour even more.
One Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup
This One Pot Tortellini Soup is made for cozy nights. With lots of herbs, tomatoes and cheese tortellini, it's packed with flavour and easy to make on a weeknight!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 500 g package frozen or fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 small bunch kale, stems removed & leaves chopped about 5 leaves
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- parmesan cheese & chili flakes for garnish
Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Once warm, Add the onion and garlic, sauteeing for about 5 minutes until softened.
Stir in spices with onion and garlic for 30 seconds. Then, add chicken broth and crushed tomatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes until slightly thickened. Stir occasionally. *If you find the soup too thick, add a ½ cup-1 cup more chicken broth or water before adding in tortellini
Stir in tortellini, and turn up heat to a simmer again. USING FROZEN TORTELLINI, cook 6-8 minutes. USING FRESH TORTELLINI, cook 2-3 minutes. Stir occasionally until tortellini is just done.
Next stir in cream and cook for 2 minutes.
Then stir in kale and wilt for 1 minute.
Lastly stir in parmesan cheese and then take off the heat to serve immediately.
Top with more parmesan cheese and chili flakes if desired.
I truly can’t get enough of this soup! It’s creamy, cozy and filling for a full meal.
Why you’ll love this one pot tortellini soup:
- It’s SO easy to make! You can even meal prep some of the ingredients ahead of time so when you get home from work or school everything is ready to go.
- You can make this your own! Try a beef, chicken or spinach tortellini.
- Serve this as a weeknight dinner or serve to guests on the weekend. It’s that versatile!
- Don’t love kale? Simply omit it or try mixing in spinach if you prefer.
Tips for making the best tortellini soup:
- Make sure to add the kale at the end, it only takes a few minutes to wilt without it going soggy.
- Add extra seasoning if needed! Taste the soup once cooked and if you think it needs another pinch of salt, pepper or even chili flakes DO IT.
- Make sure to add the tortellini towards the end so it doesn’t overcook.
What to serve with this One Pot Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Bread! A baguette is the perfect accompaniment to this soup.
- A divine glass of red wine (if that’s your thing).
- A simple side salad like my Brussels Sprouts and Kale Salad (especially if you like kale!)
More soup recipes to love from the blog:
Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
Healthyish Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Until the next cooking adventure,
DISCLAIMER: THIS RECIPE WAS ORIGINALLY CREATED FOR THE ITALIAN CENTRE SHOP AND THEY HAVE GRACIOUSLY LET ME REPUBLISH TO THE BLOG.
Leave a Reply