Is there anything better than Taco Tuesday?!
We make tacos for dinner weekly and this is our go-to turkey tacos recipe!
Using ground turkey and an easy spice mix, you can have this on the table in 30 minutes.
Ground turkey tacos are a simple and healthy dinner you’ll be coming back to again and again. This turkey taco recipe comes together really quickly for an easy dinner that is super versatile. You could even setup this dinner as a ‘taco bar’ for the family to enjoy!
And, with some basic pantry spices, you can make the taco seasoning at home for this easy taco recipe.
How to make taco seasoning at home from scratch?
Use 8 spices from the pantry to make this homemade taco seasoning:
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Ground cumin
- Onion powder
- Dried Oregano
- Salt & Pepper
Once you’ve made the homemade seasoning, there’s just a few simple steps to cook and assemble this turkey taco recipe.
Some of my favourite toppings for these tacos are:
- Diced tomatoes
- Green onions
- Sliced avocado or guacamole
- Hot sauce
- Sour cream
Simple & Easy Turkey Tacos
For the turkey taco meat
- 500 g lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 3/4 tsp coarse salt
- ground pepper
- 2/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup water
- 8 tortillas or taco shells
Optional taco toppings
- diced green onions
- chopped lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sliced avocado
- fresh or pickled jalapenos
- sour cream or greek yogurt
- hot sauce
- Mix together the taco seasoning and set aside: chili powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, ground cumin, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper.
- Place a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the ground turkey to the pan, breaking up the meat as you cook it for about 7-8 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium and add in taco seasoning. Cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add in the tomato sauce and water, stir together and simmer at medium-low heat for about 10 minutes until mixture thickens and most of the liquid is absorbed. Taste and season with more salt and ground pepper as needed. If using green onions, mix them into the turkey taco mixture before serving.
- Serve with soft or hard shell tacos and toppings.
- Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
These easy turkey tacos are sure to become a go-to in your household. This recipe is just so versatile; everyone can build their own turkey taco to their liking!
Why are these easy turkey tacos so great?
Stretch this dinner into two meals: Mix in a can of black beans (rinsed) in the last few minutes of cooking to make this taco filling go a long way.
Switch things up: Try using ground beef instead; the taco seasoning will work well with it too!
Make this into a taco salad: Skip the taco shells and serve the cooked ground turkey taco meat on a bed of lettuce along with all your favourite toppings.
Freeze the taco meat: Let the ground turkey taco meat cool completely and then freeze for up to 2 months. To enjoy again, defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat on low on the stove top or in the microwave.
Make leftovers into burritos: Use the ground turkey taco meat to make burritos for lunch or dinner the next day. Add the turkey taco meat with some rice and favourite fillings to a large tortilla, then wrap for a delicious burrito.
More weeknight dinner ideas to love from the blog:
Until the next cooking adventure,