These Chickpea Taco Bowls are something I’ve been eating for lunch foreverrrrr and finally here is the recipe for you!
When I was growing up taco bowls were on the menu pretty regularly. Making a taco bowl with similar ingredients you normally use for tacos is such a nice way to mix things up!
Chickpeas are so versatile and easy to prepare. In this case, I’ve sautéed chickpeas with my favourite spices for an extra kick of flavour for these Chickpea Taco Bowls!
These bowls have all of the usual taco ingredients you’re used to seeing: avocado, tomatoes and greens.
Plus, I’ve added in my favourite cheese, feta, and some extra vegetables to bring more flavour AND colour too!
And you can’t have a taco bowl without some crunch! So enter crispy tortilla strips that are easy to make.
Then, finishing off this bowl is an easy spicy yogurt dressing, a squeeze of lime and a bit of cilantro.
Chickpea Taco Bowls
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional if you like spice!
- 1 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the bowls:
- 4 cups mixed greens, arugula or kale
- 1/2 cup fresh corn kernels or cooked corn
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup chopped orange pepper
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 small tortilla, cut into 1-2 inch strips
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch coarse salt
- lime wedges & cilantro for serving
Spicy Yogurt Dressing
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, set aside. Then mix together all of the spices and set aside
- In a frying pan over medium heat, add 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil and the chickpeas. Sauté for 3-5 minutes. Then add in the spice mix and stir occasionally while cooking for about 2 more minutes until all of the chickpeas are well coated. Set aside.
For the bowls and dressing:
- Prep all of the vegetables and set aside.
- Then, set the oven to low broil. On a small sheet pan mix the tortilla strips with olive oil and a pinch of salt, toss to mix. Cook in the oven for 3-4 minutes, toss and then cook another 2 minutes until the tortilla strips start to brown and get crispy.
- Mix together the hot sauce and yogurt until fully combined.
Assembly of the chickpea taco bowls:
- To assemble the bowls, start with 2 cups of greens as the bottom layer of each bowl.
- Then divide all of the ingredients amongst the two large bowls. Drizzle with the spicy yogurt dressing and top with a squeeze of lime and cilantro.
This is a perfect vegetarian option for #meatlessmonday too!
The great thing about these Chickpea Taco Bowls is their versatility; sub out ingredients you don’t love for ones that you do. And, if you want to forgo the dressing, go for it or use another type (my guilty pleasure is a serious dose of ranch dressing!) PLUS, just double the recipe if you want to make this for 4 people.
And, if you’d prefer to use chicken instead of chickpeas, simply sub in about 1 1/2 cups cooked, shredded chicken.
I’ll just be over here making these every week and I hope you enjoy these bowls too!
Love tacos? You may also enjoy my Tex-Mex Sweet Potatoes with Chickpeas & Kale.
Until the next cooking adventure,