Right now, there’s nothing better than these Easy Breakfast Tacos!
Using just a couple of ingredients that you have in your fridge, you can easily make this recipe.
Mix and match to create your perfect Breakfast Taco (which are also great to make for brunch or dinner!)
When we were kids my Mom would make us breakfast tacos on the weekend, especially if we had leftovers from tacos during the week.
It is a GREAT way to use up a variety of vegetables in the fridge or taco leftovers. I love this recipe because it really is a ‘choose your own adventure.’ Use whichever ingredients are your favourite!
My favourite way to make these tacos is leaning towards other ingredients I like to eat with breakfast like sweet potato and avocado. So really, let your personal tastes guide you.
Here’s what makes a delicious easy breakfast taco
Tortillas: The base of the perfect breakfast taco, warm them in a frying pan at medium heat and then wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm while you make the taco filling.
Sweet Potato: Shred the sweet potato on cheese grater and sauté in a bit of olive oil until they get a bit crisp. Literally leave them in the pan in one layer until you see the edges start to brown, then stir them a bit until cooked to your liking.
Peppers & Onions: A quick sauté of peppers and onions for a dose of vegetables.
Eggs: Our main filling for these breakfast tacos. I like to cook the eggs on low for a delicious scrambled egg.
Radishes: So perfect for a bit of crunch!
Cilantro: If you’re ‘team cilantro’ then be sure to add it!
Cheese: Feta is my choice as the salt from it is perfect with these tacos but cheddar is also great.
Hot sauce: Drizzle the tacos with hot sauce for a finishing touch; I honestly wouldn’t have tacos without it.
And of course, mix and match the ingredients you have in your fridge. These breakfast tacos can be as easy as just eggs, salsa and cheese! This recipe uses just one pan for everything too.
Easy Breakfast Tacos
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- 4 large eggs, scrambled
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato or regular potato
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red pepper
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- salt & pepper
- suggested garnishes: sliced radishes, chopped cilantro, hot sauce, salsa, avocado, guacamole, diced tomato or cherry tomatoes, sour cream, sliced cabbage, kale or other greens for garnish
- hot sauce
- In a frying pan on medium heat, warm the tortillas, flipping to warm each side 2-3 minutes. Then wrap in a kitchen towel to keep warm.
- To the same frying pan add 1 tbsp olive oil and spread out shredded sweet potato. Let cook until it starts to brown around the edges, add a pinch of salt and pepper, stir and then cook a bit more until your desired doneness. Remove from pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add another 1 tbsp olive oil and pepper and onions. Sauté for about 5-8 minutes until softened. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Lastly, whisk eggs in a bowl and then add 1 tbsp olive oil to the pan along with eggs. Cook, stirring until eggs are scrambled to your desired consistency.
- Assemble your tacos by spooning sweet potatoes onto each tortilla. Then layer cooked pepper and onions, scrambled eggs and topping with your garnishes of choice. Enjoy warm.
- Make this recipe for more people: This recipe is easily doubled! Double the recipe so that everyone can have two tacos or to serve more people.
- Need substitutions?
- Need crunch? Use cabbage or other greens instead of radishes
- Add more potato if you don't have peppers and/or onions
- Leftover tacos will keep fairly well in the refrigerator for up to 2 days without garnishes; gently reheat before serving.
For a long time I forgot about how GOOD these breakfast tacos can be! They’re seriously so easy to mix and match your favourite ingredients and toppings. You could easily stretch this recipe to 6 tacos by adding beans. OR, make these full breakfast plates with a side of bacon and/or potatoes!
Other delicious breakfast taco variations
- Bacon, monterey jack cheese and eggs
- All veggie: pack with veggies and your favourite cheese
- Use leftover taco meat and add eggs, cheese and salsa
Make these your own! That is what I love about this recipe; you can make them any way you desire.
Looking for other delicious taco recipes?! Try my Easy Cauliflower Tacos!
Until the next cooking adventure,