These Sweet Potato Kale Flatbreads are simple to make, perfect for dinner or a party appetizer!
By roasting the sweet potato and kale on the flatbread you create the most delicious savoury and sweet flavours.
Then, bringing all of the flavours together, the flatbreads are topped with a local plant-based Garlic and Herb Macadamia cheese by Flora Fromage. These Sweet Potato Kale Flatbreads just might become your go-to appetizer for entertaining!
I absolutely adore entertaining. I always look to create food that is easy to make so you can spend more time enjoying delicious food with your family and friends.
So, I partnered with Flora Fromage to bring this simple and beautiful Sweet Potato Kale Flatbreads recipe to you.
I discovered Flora Fromage when I met Janice, the Chef and Owner, at a workshop she was hosting. The workshop is where I first tried her plant-based cheese recipes and the flavours absolutely blew me away! The cheeses are all dairy-free and rich in probiotics; plus the cheese is perfect to serve when you have a variety of dietary needs or tastes.
What I love about the Garlic and Herb Macadamia cheese is the savoury flavour from the garden herbs and zesty garlic. The flavours of the cheese complement the vegetables on the flatbreads perfectly! Sprinkling on the cheese after the flatbread is cooked also makes this dish easy to serve at parties.
Sweet Potato Kale Flatbreads
- 425-450 g fresh pizza dough usually this can be found in the bakery section or frozen section of your grocery store and may vary in size; one package of freshly-made dough
- 1/2 cup red onion slices
- 1 cup sweet potato cubes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 1/2 cups chopped kale
- 1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp Flora Fromage Garlic & Herb Macadamia Cheese
- 1/2 cup Flora Fromage Garlic & Herb Macadamia Cheese
- extra salt & pepper to sprinkle on at the end
- Make pizza dough according to the recipe you are using. Or, if you're using a store-bought dough, remove the dough from the fridge and leave on the counter, covered with a tea towel for about 15-30 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Mix together the onion, sweet potato, 1 tbsp olive oil, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/4 tsp pepper on a baking sheet.
- Bake the onion and sweet potato for 20 minutes, flipping the vegetables halfway through.
- While the vegetables are baking, lay a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet and using a bit of flour, stretch or roll the pizza dough into two oval shapes, about 8 inches tall.
- Once the vegetables are done baking, place the flatbreads in the oven for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is baking, mix the chopped kale with 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
- Remove the dough from the oven after 10 minutes. Spread 1 tbsp of the Flora Fromage Garlic & Herb Macadamia Cheese on each flatbread. Then, top each flatbread with kale, onion and sweet potato.
- Return the flatbread to the oven for an additional 8-10 minutes, until the kale begins to crisp.
- Remove the flatbreads from the oven and top with the crumbled Flora Fromage Garlic & Herb Macadamia Cheese.
I am planning on serving these Sweet Potato Kale Flatbreads through the holiday season and beyond! They are shareable and easy to make for guests.
And if you love the sound of the Flora Fromage Garlic & Herb Macadamia Cheese, check out the other flavours including the Smokey Jalapeno (OMG!) and Apricot Orange.
Until the next cooking adventure,